Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Power of Technology and the Inspirational Speaker by Max Garcia

Is the ever growing speed of technology good or bad? For the last ten years of my life as a leadership speaker technology has completely changed everything. In some ways it has made life better, but in other ways it has made every day life nothing but stressful. From the Verizon Internet, to cell phones, to pocket personal computers, and on line colleges, I hope life does not get any faster for me. A well-known psychic and inspirational speaker named John Edwards once said that we live in a “Mcdonalds, want it now society”. Everybody wants everything “right now”. I have been no exception to that theory. Just today I stopped at an auto body shop to get estimates from an accident. After nicely asking if I could get the estimate done now, I mentioned the quote from the inspirational speaker and everyone in the office started laughing. The manager stated that he talked about changing the company motto to something similar due to the impatience of customers. I must say that technology did help me today, as I was able to fax the paper work to the insurance company of the driver at fault.

Sure it is nice to have a cell phone, but it’s not so nice when the boss can conveniently call you back to work on the drop of a hat. As a leadership speaker, now that I have a cell phone, I can’t live without it. I used to get several phone calls during the workday from the boss. Whatever the task, of course needs to be done “as soon as possible”. In the early 90s’, once the meeting was over and everybody went to work outside, if the company staff needed something else they had to drive out to the work spaces and look for that individual or wait until the next day. Those were also the days of handwritten paper work and verbal reports.

As a leadership speaker I prefer to use a pocket personal computer to take notes in the meetings and pass word to subordinates. It keeps everything very organized, holds all my recall rosters, blood type rosters, to do list, and phone numbers without messy papers. I know a wide variety of people in different professions use them for the same. A Christian speaker can easily keep track of what he has talked about to each group. This same Christian speaker can write his next lecture while waiting in line at the DMV. At the same time the Christian speaker may have to speak about the rise of internet predators, a very serious subject. Is technology growing too fast? We know that if the internet were to go away any inspirational speaker or Christian speaker would surely struggle. You decide!

No comments:

Post a Comment