Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Preparation is Key by Max Garcia

You may have seen my recent post about how important it is for business speakers and inspirational speakers to thoroughly rehearse several times before actually speaking in front of others. I recently also realized that even if a business speaker is just reading in front of people he should still rehearse what he or she is reading. I recently experienced the benefits of pre reading the other day. In the Marine Corps, every month I have to read promotion warrants out loud in front of everyone in a formal manner for those who are getting promoted.

Every month I have to read the same thing and execute the same routine with my Commanding Officer. I must say though, regardless of how repetitive it gets if I don't read the warrant at least once out loud in my office by myself I will not sound as good live and in color. I also make it a point to rehearse with the Commanding Officer to ensure we look proficient as leaders in front of the company.

The same should apply for business speakers and inspirational speakers. If a business speaker sounds like he is hooked on phonics then he or she will instantly lose credibility. Inspirational speakers must be able to inspire by first acting like they themselves are on top of the world. Business speakers or leaders in any capacity must display competence in the area of expertise so people will want to follow them anywhere. A business speaker will be much more confident after rehearsing his or her speech out loud so that they can hear what they sound like and make adjustments. For more ways to become confident in any area of your life listen to some of my free pod casts at http://www.themaxgarcia.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment